Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Amanda Vasquez- Event Analysis


      On September 17 I attended the reading of Adam Johnson.  He choose to read one of his recent works that still did not have a title and this will be analyzed with the readings assigned this week. The readings this week that related to Adam Johnson’s work was “The Birthmark” by Nathaniel Hawthorne,  “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” by William Wordsworth. Each of these readings all taught me that no matter what the circumstances are you should always be there for the one you love.
    The “Birthmark” by Nathaniel Hawthorne relates to the reading by Adam Johnson because both husbands in the stories just wanted the best for their wives. Although each of them showed affection in a different way, they still wanted their wives to get healthy and happy. In the reading by Adam Johnson, his wife Charlotte was paralyzed from the shoulders down. The disease she had was paralysis and the doctors couldn’t do anything about it. The only thing that calmed her nerves were smoking weed and listening to nirvana. The speaker, which was her husband, was always there for her whenever she needed him. He always preyed she would get better and he would do anything for her. On the other hand the husband in “The Birthmark” wants his wife to be beautiful and happy. He wants her to remove the birthmark she has and even goes so far to make a potion to get rid of it. This teaches us readers that appearances should not affect the feelings for another person. As long as you love what’s on the inside a birthmark should not be a big deal to one another.
    The “Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman also relates back to the reading of Adam Johnson because it relates back to relationships as well. Although the marriage between each story is completely different they both teach you the same lesson. Which is to always be there for one another no matter what. In “The Yellow Wallpaper” I did not agree with the way the husband was treating his wife. It reminded me a little of “The Whale Rider” by Witi Ihimaera because in the beginning Koro treated women as if they were not equal and if they were useless to him. In “The Yellow Paper” the husband treated his wife as if she were not human. The wife even says, “He is very careful and loving, and hardly lets me stir without special direction.” He was so controlling over her that she didn’t have any freedom. He directed her throughout the day and approved of everything. In Adam Johnsons reading the husband was the complete opposite. I felt that he was at her becking call and would do anything for her. He even agreed to have a baby with her even though he didn’t fully want to have one with her illness.
   The “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” and the reading by Adam John both had memories that made them happy. In “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” the speaker is in heaven and remembers the time she saw a beautiful site of flowers and it puts a smile on her face every time. The speaker said “In vacant or pensive mood/ They flash upon that inward eye/ Which is the bliss of solitude/ And then in my heart with pleasure fills/ And dances with the daffodils.” In the reading by Adam Johnson the wife always listens to nirvana to calm her down. She even asked her husband to put her headphones on when they were trying to have a baby. It sooths her because she realizes her life will never be the same and that the doctors cant do anything about her disease. Just the little things in life can brighten up someone who is having a bad day and I truly believe in that.
    Overall the Reading by Adman Johnson taught me a lot about life and Jesuit education. It made me realize how grateful I am for my health and that I shouldn’t take it for granted. It also taught me that a Jesuit education is so valuable in life. It showed me that we should always be there for another. Even the first couple weeks that I have been at Loyola I have felt that it is such a close community here and that everyone tries to help one another anyway they can. Each of these readings also showed me that in a marriage you should always stick by one others side through sickness and in health. When I was fifteen my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and it was the hardest thing my family has ever had to go through. It was so difficult to see my dad in pain but we all went through it together. During this time my mom was there for dad through everything even though it was so hard to see him like that. She was there until the very end and I will always admire her for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment