Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Event Analysis


Christie Fitzgerald
November 28, 2012
Event Analysis
Professor Ellis
Shakespeare’s Auction
            For this event analysis, we were asked to discuss William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night and an event that we’ve been to in the past two or so weeks. Two Friday’s ago, I attended an auction that was put on in order to benefit and raise money for Project Mexico. Both the event and the play relate to each other in ways that may not seem apparent at first.
            Twelfth Night tells the story of different lovers who paths constantly cross. There is Orsino, a nobleman who is in love with Olivia, a girl he cannot have because she is mourning over the loss of her brother. There is also Viola, who assumes her brother died in a shipwreck as she comes to this new, foreign land. Viola hears of Orsino’s love for Olivia, and ultimately ends up dressing up as a man, Cesario, and works in Orsino’s house. This is where Viola falls in love with Orsino, who is still in love with Olivia. Viola sets off to complete a task for Orsino and, dressed up as Cesario, she delivers love messages to Olivia from him. This is when Olivia falls in love with Cesario, and the love triangle is complete. This story of love at first sight shows what people will do for love. This relates to the auction because of the bidding that people do in order to get what they want.
            The auction reminded me of the characters in the play and as if they were bidding for each other’s love. At the auction, people bid on baskets where they don’t necessarily know what they’re getting themselves into. The characters in the play jumped into “love” with their partners, not knowing exactly what they were getting themselves into.
            This semester I have enjoyed this class a lot. The transition to Loyola as a first new student was completely different than I imagined; I don’t think anyone could have prepared me for that much independence I would have once my parents drove away that first time. I was disappointed at first when I figured out that I wasn’t going to be able to participate in the service part of the class. I love working with kids and I wanted to experience that here in a new surrounding. However, it didn’t work with my schedule. Once I started going to the events, I realized how interesting they were. I found the one meditation class I attended the most interesting experience I’ve had here and one I will never forget. It was in that class I realized how fidgety I am. I actually found myself getting anxious when I realized that I couldn’t make any noises and just had to sit there in stillness. I didn’t want to do anything wrong to offend anyone—another thing I was getting anxious about. I was very surprised because I thought I would have enjoyed that type of class. I found out something different about others and myself at each event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment