Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Event Analysis-Nik Lelifanovski


                                                              Event Analysis
The event I attended this week was the Zen Meditation class. During this class, I found myself thinking about dealing with conflicts, which relates to theme of Shane by Jack Schaefer. Since this was not my first time attending meditation, the routine was familiar for me, but somewhat still new. Ever since I have been doing the meditation, it has been an eye opening experience for me. My meditation and understanding of Shane have taught me that sometimes we need to change the way I handle issues, and that I will always need to deal with the consequences of how I choose to act.
Shane by Jack Schaefer deals with the conflict between Shane and Joe, and Fletcher, Chris, and Wilson. Fletcher is desperate to buy Joe’s farmland, so he sends his men to instigate fights with Joe and Shane. The first incident occurs when Shane runs into Chris in town. Chris tries to initiate an argument with Shane by telling him that his and Joe’s farm smells like pigs and teasing him about how farmers only drink soda. Shane manages to stay calm and avoid a fight, but the story spreads around town, and everyone begins to mock Shane and Joe.
 Up until this point, Shane and Joe had been dealing with Fletcher and his men by being the better men and walking away from fights. However, Shane can no longer stand being provoked, and goes into town to find Chris. Chris and Shane get into a fight at the bar, which ends with Shane beating Chris up. Shane’s victory in this fight ends the teasing; however, Joe becomes worried that this may cause Fletcher and his men to start more fights with them. At this point in the story, we see that Joe and Shane have changed the way they respond to conflict with Fletcher. Instead of continuing to walk away from confrontations, they have started to fight back. When Fletcher brings Wilson, a skilled gunman, to instigate some of the farmers, Shane and Joe know it has to come the point where they need to defend themselves. Shane goes into town with a gun to talk to Fletcher. He ends up killing Wilson and shooting Fletcher. After this incident, Joe and his family beg Shane to stay on the farm with them, but he says that since he has killed a man, he must move on from the town.
In the book, Shane and Joe start out handling their conflicts in a somewhat peaceful way. However, as the story goes on, they realize that their method is not working and they decide to deal with the issue in a different way. Although they are successful in solving their problems when Shane kills Wilson, Shane knows he must now deal with the consequences of the way he chose to handle his conflict. During my meditation, I realized that, like Shane and Joe, sometimes I might need to change the way I handle issues in order to be successful in overcoming them. In addition to this, I realized that after I choose to deal with something a certain way, I will have to accept the consequences of my actions and deal with them as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment