Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Native American Culture- Event Analysis 11/15

The Native American Culture

Last week, I attended a cultural event called ‘Dreamcatchers and rainmakers’. It was part of the Native American Heritage Month. This analysis will relate that event to Shane, by Jack Schaefer. The event that I attended relates strongly to Shane and the Jesuit education as a whole. The story and the event touched me and made me think back to different experiences in my life that relate to the Jesuit education. Culture, symbols and the coming of age were the main themes that related the event and the novel.
            In Shane, by Jack Schaefer, one of the major themes is the coming of age. The events in the book can be seen through the eyes of a boy. The concept of being a man comes full circle as Bob, a boy, realizes that Shane is the kind of man he wants to be and is changed as a person because of that realization. Bob is lucky to grow up with not just one role model in his father Joe, but also with Shane. The two of them are amazing people to serve as examples as he changes from a boy to a man. In relating to the event, the Native American culture revolves around the coming of age. Boys always look up to their fathers and learn from them. Their goals are to be their father, and to take control of the family. Growing up and taking control is a major part of the Jesuit education. Coming full circle within oneself is a huge part of what it means to be you. This cultural event, as with this theme in Shane, provide a nice backdrop into what the Jesuit education is all about. Becoming the person that you want to be by the experience of others and coming full circle. I, myself, have always looked up to my father and wanted to grow up just like him. He takes care of my mother and I and always puts us first. It will be my coming of age when I have kids and can be a father to them as my father is to me. That is what it takes to be a man. The novel and the event both showed that.
Symbols were a major part of Shane, as they are a huge part in the Native American culture. The old tree stump symbolizes old struggles in the novel. This is one of the major symbols that I saw that related to the event the most. The second day Shane comes to the house, Shane helps him uproot it, which, along these lines, signifies the overcoming of something that has been the bane of Joe’s existence. But, even though the old problem is gone, it is soon replaced by a new problem. This relates to the old Native American culture. Settlers from Europe that were moving in pushed the natives from their lands hundreds of years ago. Even though the Natives were put in groups and tribes to live together, the loss of their lands if a life-long problem. As in the novel, the old problem is gone, but a new one arises. The tree stump related greatly to the event. Symbols are a large part of Native American cultures though. At the event, we learned about Dreamcatchers and rainmakers. These objects are symbols of the Native American culture, both past and present.
This event was a great event to go to. I learned a lot about the Native American culture and I learned a lot about myself. I do not usually attend the Loyola cultural events but I am glad that I attended this one. Making these objects that are such symbols of their culture was inspiring. Learning about their culture, their lives, and their struggles was amazing. I am glad that I attended this event because it is always important to learn about other people’s cultures. I am happy that this event also related to parts of Shane too. It helped connect the two. I learned a lot about myself and others and that is exactly what the Jesuit education is all about.


Matt Sandelands
Event Analysis
11/15/2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment