Monday, October 29, 2012

Event Analysis for 11/1-Amanda Vasquez


    On Sunday, October 28 I attended Bobrauschenbergamerica presented by the Evergreens of Loyola University Maryland. The readings this week that related to this play were “A Father” by Bharati Mukherjee, “Serving up Hope” by Stephanie Shapiro, “Directions for Resisting the SAT” by Richard Hague and “First Practice” by Gary Gildner. Each of these readings and the play taught me about different life situations between cultures and teenagers today.
    The Bobrauschenbergamerica led by the Evergreens was a very interesting and different kind of play. I have never seen a play that was structured like this one. This play consisted of 36 scenes where each scene portrayed different life situations that teenagers have to deal with. Whether it was a girlfriend cheating on her boyfriend or talking about sex with someone in a bathtub, the evergreens seemed to cover a lot about love and relationships between one another. They mostly used comedy and even singing/dancing to portray these themes to lighten the mood. It wasn’t the most serious play I have been to but it still taught me a lot of useful things that I can look back on in the future. My favorite scene was when they used chicken jokes to talk about different stereotypes of today’s society. It was a good way to talk about them without offending anyone.
    In “Directions for Resisting the SAT” by Richard Hague the speaker says how we should live life to “Make marks on everything”. The first half of the poem is about how the SAT’s and how our successes are based on “rotten luck”. I disagree with this statement because I believe that if you work hard toward something that you want then you will achieve your goal. On the other hand the second half of the poem showed how we shouldn’t follow anyone else, and to not hold anything back on anything. I completely agree with these statements. If you live life by listening to others and not living it to the fullest then you’re not taking any risks. Do not be a follower; create your own path in life.
    In the “First Practice” by Gary Gildner it describes high school football. These days there is so much pressure put on athletes, especially football players, to succeed in games. This poem shows how intense a high school football practice is. When I think of football I picture the coaches yelling extremely loud at the players and early or late practices into the night going over plays. I always portrayed football players as being very tough and through this poem you would have to be to get through the season with this kind of coach. Clifford hill was the type of coach that believed “dogs at dogs” and had once killed for his country. He was a strong believer in winning by anyway and the players had to follow whatever task he made for them. In the poem Coach Clifford made them stand facing each other imagining that they were enemies and he wanted to see how the players took each other down to win. This shows how there is too much pressure on athletes these days to win. Some people seem to forget that “it’s just a game” sometimes.
    “A Father” by Bharati Mukherjee showed me how different other cultures can be. I felt lucky to be apart of the one I am today because this short story has showed me that others aren’t so lucky. This story is about an Indian family and how there is an unwanted pregnancy by the parents. The father soon realizes that his daughter is pregnant but not married. He disapproves of this completely and in the end gets into a fight with his daughter. To end the pregnancy he hit his daughter’s stomach with a rolling pin. I couldn’t imagine this happening to me. The Indian culture is so strict with marriage and pregnancies. When I finished the story I thought about how the Indian culture is extremely different from American culture. We even have shows on television now that promote teen pregnancy. These two cultures are completely opposite. Although I do not agree with shows like Teen Mom, I do not understand how you could just hit your daughter’s stomach as hard as you could.  “A Father” really opened my eyes up about other cultures in the world and I realized that I need to be more aware of the countries around us.
    “Serving up Hope” by Stephanie Shapiro focused on Bridget and Galen Sampson. This couple was truly inspiring. Bridget ran an outreach program for women who had been released from jail and she established a literacy program for kids. Her main goal is to open a community school where families can learn to put their lives together. Bridget said, “I’m trying to make the world a better place, as corny as that may sound”. This is a perfect example of someone who puts others before themselves. She is far from selfish and is just trying to make the world a better place for everyone. Her husband Galen also contributes to this. He owns a Dogwood Deli counter in Hampden where he hires people who are coming out from recovery programs. He takes chances on them when no one else does. His workers look up to both Bridget and Galen. One of their employees said “not only gave me a good job, they treat you well and pay you well. I feel very valued here.” This shows how much Galen cares for his workers and treats them with the up most respect. He not only runs his deli but also makes sure that his employees are staying on track with their recovery. Both Bridget and Galen remind me of Jesuit education. They are both looking out for everyone else and are trying to better their community. There main focus in life is to help others and that’s what a Jesuit education is about
   Overall each of these readings and the play I attended showed me different situations that people go through in life. I learned that I need to be my own person and not follow others, how tough it can be to be an athlete, and that I need to be more informed about different cultures in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment