Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Service Analysis 10/18


Understanding Another Opinion
My service experience two weeks ago was much more comforting than my first trip to the Gilford School. Although this is true I am not in any sense saying that my first trip was not comforting, I did have an amazing time. Since I had been before, this visit felt more natural, the boys knew me better. I felt that I didn’t need to introduce myself right away someone actually said, “Miss Dana can you help me with my math homework?” I simply answered, “You don’t need to call me Miss Dana! And of course.” I began to get a better feel for who each student was as a person.
There was one student in particular, Antoine who seemed to himself that day. He was not interested in talking to anyone but diligently did his homework. Antoine is an older boy in the program, Acts 4 Youth. Another boy Larry who is younger always seems to pick fights with people. Of course he chose Antoine that day as his victim. We learned at the information session to not deal with conflict and let the leader of the organization deal with it. Mr. Antoine who is the leader of the classroom that day was on the phone when Larry and Antoine started to dart comments at one another. I asked them to stop nicely because Mr. Antoine was busy and I didn’t want them to get into an argument. A conflict began and Larry was punching Antoine. They were separated when Mr. Antoine saw what was happening. Larry and Antoine the rest of the day were separated and I had a feeling of regret because I didn’t stop what was going on, I couldn’t, I tried. Larry and Antoine experienced a conflict with one another just like Victor does with his creation in Frankenstein.
In the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, the inventor Victor has a conflict with his creation and becomes petrified of what he has done. Victor had a sudden interest for science. When Victor’s mother died he became sad and thought about how one could come back to life. He explored in his thoughts of how he could maybe bring life upon a creature, a lifeless object. He decided to make a man eight feet tall and very large. He was successful in his scientific “experiment” and brought this man to life. Victor was amazed at what he had done but then suddenly scared. He ran from the creature he had created in fear of what he had done. Much happened to Victor before he met with his creation once more. His friend Justine was accused of killing his brother William. Victor immediately assumed his creation killed his brother. He thought the worst of the situation. Justine later confessed to the murder even though she did not do it. Victor then started on an interesting journey.
Victor started his trek to the valley of Chamounix. He was far from civilization in the cold mountaintops. When suddenly he saw a figure close by. His creation was there! He could not believe his eyes. He was angry asking him how he dared to approach him. The creature said you accuse me of murder but listen to my story before you judge.
I feel that this conflict can connect with Larry and Antoine argument. If they had just listened to one another they would have been able to understand why one another was upset and go from there. The conflict arouse from miscommunications just like Victor and the creature that could not have been talked through. Just how the book Frankenstein connects with ones emotions, Langston Hughes’s poems tend to draw towards longing for something or having negative thoughts towards another individual.
In the poem “Formula” by Langston Hughes the speaker is expressing his love for poetry. The speaker is expressing that the “muse” of poetry should just flow and soar with thoughts. Muse means to think or meditate in silence. I feel the speaker is expressing how poetry should allow someone to reach great heights. For example when the speaker refers to poetry as treats of lofty things. Meaning poetry can be amazing and break out into its wings by someone writing a poem.
The poem by Langston Hughes titled, “Old Walt” talks about the speaker’s feelings towards Walt Whitman and his form of poetry. The speaker explains how Walt is always “Seeking and finding”. He says he found less than he sought meaning he looked for a lot but found not much. The speaker is applauding Whitman for looking for so much and always keeping every detail in mind. The speaker does not say what Whitman is looking for but I took it as a meaning for his poetry, a realization of his life. Hughes is respecting another writer for his determination and love of poetry.
            Overall, my service experience, Frankenstein, as well as Hughes’s poems all express either a conflict or a sense of emotion toward an individual or subject. Whether these emotions are expressed face to face or in words they all get a point across. I was able to experience a conflict face to face like the author of Frankenstein where as Langston Hughes was able to use his talent of writing poetry to express his thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment